Skip Navigation | Using this site

A peppered story in the Life of a Diabetic

Lakeland 100 Recce

I’d been mulling over the thought of doing the Lakeland 100 for sometime, its a 100 mile ultra run at the end of July. Thinking that what with the training I’m putting in to the Howfast project, to bump this on top could be achievable… I think. Some 50% of starters don’t make the finish so its one of those not to be underestimated, and if I’m honest with myself I don’t exactly have a great success rate on events that bump in to the small hours. Still Howfast should hopefully sort that one out..Lakeland100 Copyright Montane


One of the attractive points about the event was that I knew about 80% of the route – so perceived I didn’t really need to spend a massive amount of time checking out the route. Still there was some large sections between Buttermere and Dalemain I’d not done before. Last Sunday the organisers had a recce day, a healthy 33 miles in the hills would be a good day out (even if you have no intention of doing the event these recce days are great value).


photo 1

So £15 provided a coach transfer from Dalemain to Buttermere and some light refreshments at checkpoints on the run back.

Even though it was a recce, it felt like a race and before long I was at the back going up Sail Pass. Chilled I resigned myself that this is where I would be for the rest of the day. Over the top and I found myself passing about 10 people as they struggled with the steep paths and some of the navigational choices to Braithwaite.

Trotting along the A66 and on to the railway path I was soon being passed again. As with these treks you find yourself at a similar speed to a few others. Here I found myself jogging along with Ian a Tour De Mont Blanc vetran and a semi retired Peadetrician, as it turned out we spent much of the next 20 miles travelling together.

photo 4

Before I knew it we were ascending up to the coach road, as we trotted along I could tell something was not right – speed and heart rate were going down. At the next checkpoint popped a unit of insulin in and a peanut butter roll. Within 5 mins I was back on the burner.

As we took on the final 10 miles we found ourselves travelling with another guy Mr P who was taking on the Lakeland 50 but using this as training. He was definately putting the effort in but was struggling. I offered Shotblox and we took time out on the side of Gowbarrow, he was encouraging me and Ian to go on, orginally I thought maybe we should but Ian was keen to stay. Rightly so, some 4 months earlier right opposite where I was sitting on Askham, Ant and Oli had looked after me at the end of the Lakes 42.

After a 15 min rest we moved on at a steady pace, the miles ticked away and we soon appeared at Dalemain. Mr P barked up in the carpark and was kindly thankful that we hung back for him. I’d like to think he slowed us down but to be honest it was not by much. Good 9 hours out and great to experience some new paths I’d not been on. As I got changed I though could I do this again – yep!

Heading home, stopped for some food at Tebay and started shaking.. that wretched hypothermia is back again. Whilst everyone around me was in T-Shirts and sun tops I had a hoodie and a duvet Jacket shivering. Darn – after warm tea and food I was on the mend.


On Monday afternoon I was at Kendal Hospital to be kitted out with my new insulin pump. This is to replace me injecting about 6 times a day and will hopefully help with my sporting endeavours. This little device slowly pushes insulin in to my body more akin to how your pancreas works.

So if you see me now, I usually have a little device like a pager in my pocket with a tube that disappears under my top. Its attached to my stomach – you soon forget about it. Every 2-3 days I have to refill the pump with insulin and change the tube / attachment to my stomach.


The picture – well I thought I’d put you through the grim sight of my tummy, partly because I have seen the intrigue on people when they look at the pump and think WHERE does that tube go?

No dramas so far, all seems to work extremely well. Popped back in to the hospital to check on how I was doing – all good. Back next week.


Was not expecting to be able to do sport for a while, but my diabetic nurse gave me the all clear. So on Wednesday night went off Orienteering at Loughrigg. Good fun – 1 hr of running as fast as can, missed one control and was back a minute early.  Carrying the pump was not too bad clipped on to my running tights although it did keep moving around.  I’m sure I’ll suss it soon. Results

A few weekends of events ahead for Open Adventure and then Howfast hits my door.  Ready or not..

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.